Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Day 2: More work

For all of the readers. This blog is meant to serve as an entertainment and communicative device as well as a point of reference for anyone looking to go teach abroad in Korea or anywhere else for that matter. This post is more for the latter...

Day 2: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 

(Kyle Speaking) Yesterday, I was hit with a bomb. It turns out that my school’s (Cheon Cheon Elementary) designated specialty is none other than English. This notion alone looks as if it may increase my work-load by at least double. My normal schedule incorporates 26 classes at nearly 40 minutes each. However, beginning next week, I will also be adding 7 classes on top of that total, for a summation of 33 classes per week…. But this fact alone is not the root of my concern. For each of my normal classes I am accompanied by a co-teacher and instructed to follow a curriculum that is supplemented with a textbook, CD-ROM, and teacher’s manual. For these additional “special classes” as they like to call them; I will be all alone, with my own designed lesson plans. One of the “special classes” is comprised of the most advanced English speaking students in the school while the other special class contains a list of some 40 4th graders who had expressed interest in studying under a Native English Speaker earlier in the semester. At this point I am not quite sure on how I will be handling this newfound situation. The good thing is that due to my contract’s written total of 22 teaching hours per week, I may end up earning extra money.   

No comments: