Monday, September 29, 2008

Second Thoughts

            (This is Kyle) This may be a little late to post but Nick keeps on insisting that I take down this story.

            On the first day of our arrival both Nick and I were picked up from the airport in the same van. By chance we were driven to my school first where we were separated with nearly no way of contacting one another. I told Nick that I would do my best to attempt to send him an email message so long that I could gain an internet connection. I soon entered my school where I met most of the staff. Afterward, I was walked to my apartment in which I was told was internet-ready. The co-teacher that had shown me the initial ropes, soon left and I was on my own. First thing for me to do was to email Nick, however I soon found that the internet was not in service at my home. I then ventured off to find an internet café that I have heard of through so many blogs……no chance. I did however, find a computer repair store with an old man that was willing to let me connect for a minute. This didn’t prove all that helpful once I got to it because I was unable to give my whereabouts or address to Nick. Everything is in Korean and it is very difficult to pinpoint your location. So my email went something like this:

Subject: Nick, come find me

Body: I have an apartment right by my school but I can’t tell you what my address is. Come back to the school that you dropped me off at and start walking around the neighborhood at around 6pm. I’m sure that I will see you walking. Oh yeah, don’t bother emailing me back because I won’t be connected.

 

After thanking the old man for the hook-up. I returned back to my new apartment. There I attempted to work the heating device for the water (that was all in Korean by the way), with no success. With extreme frustration, I proceeded to go ahead and take the cold shower. It must be noted that the shower-head does not come from the wall but rather from the sink. Washing oneself with one hand above your head is a new experience in itself. It was at this point, taking a one-handed cold shower from my sink with the large doubt of ever seeing my friend that I had planned on spending so much of my time with here, that I began develop a few minor second thoughts.

After drying off, throwing on some shorts, and beginning to sink into my own thoughts, I was magnificently interrupted by a knock on the door from whom other than Nick and 3 other co-teachers. Don’t ask how he had found the place, all that mattered was that we had somehow met up again and I was stoked.

No comments: