Monday, May 11, 2009

The Tourist Thang

This may sound odd but I consider myself to be a horrible tourist (in the traditional sense of the word).
My traveling in Asia has thus far consisted of me picking a destination where a good friend is residing, booking the cheapest route there, and then having him hold my hand and make all of my decisions. Most of our days are spent catching up on one another's old and new happenings; and those days are then followed by long unforgettable-story-forming nights that predictably result in short days following. I guess I'm saying that my focus when traveling has not always been seeing all the "sights".
Well.....not in China. Carillo, Jon, and I took Beijing by storm and saw exactly what we were supposed to see. Now, this doesn't mean that our nights weren't long, nor does it disregard the fact that Jon was still holding our hands though the entire process. But.....I'm still giving myself the "Lonely Planet" pat on the back.

DG....this one's for you. Here's a snapshot of Chinese Red Bull. It can be found everywhere but it's probably fake. EVERYTHING in China is fake.

Jonny Boy, his girlfriend Alex, and Carillo talking most likely about the Celtics.

The burial temple of Mao Zedong



Tian'nemen Square

THis gaurd lucked out and got some shade while on "looking real serious while standing with good posture" duty


China has what Republicans like to hate and refer to as "Big Government." It definitely shows in the architecture.






Red flies high

Jon is the tank and Carillo is the protesting student.










Beijing's city streets are shaded with awesome rows of trees.









Limo Bus


Two-car garage




Gates to the Forbidden City




Forbidden City had to get with the times and set up a basketball court.





If you're a believer in the positivity of globalization than here's your proof....we will never go to war with China. McDonalds is quite the peace-keeper.

No comments: